Fairford Festival are inviting children aged 7-11yrs to submit a short story. There are two topics to choose from;
My Great British Holiday. Can you tell us a story inspired by a holiday in Britain, it can be based on your own holiday or a fictional holiday.
Superhero for a day. Can you write a story as if you were a superhero, what would your power be and what would you do with it for a day?
Our judges will be looking for originality, characterisation, good use of language, a good plot and overall, a story that really takes the reader with them.
How to enter: Simply download an entry form
Complete the form and with your short story email to email@example.com clearly stating in the email subject:
1) Name of entrant 2) Short story title 3) Entrants age
Your story must be in a word doc and attached to the email and not written in the body of the email.
Judging and prizes: All entries will be judged by members of the festival committee who will decide on a shortlist. We are very honoured to have children’s author, Sarah McIntyre to judge the shortlisted entries.
The winning entry will be announced on Sunday 3rd June at 4pm. Those shortlisted will receive a book token each with the winner receiving a very special cup.
DEADLINE: Tuesday 15th May 2018
- The competition is open to all children from aged 7-11yrs
- All short stories must have a title and must not exceed 500 words
- Please tell us on the entry form if the child has any special educational needs that the judges can take into consideration
- The closing date is midnight on Tuesday 15th May 2018
- There is no entry fee
- Only one entry per child
- Entries must be based on the two topics listed overleaf
- Typed entries ONLY will be accepted. This is to ensure judging remains fair
- Entries will only be accepted with an entry form (available from the Fairford Festival website)
- Entries will not be returned so please keep a copy
- The judges’ decision is final
- The winner will be notified via the contact details provided on the entry form and also announced at the festival on Sunday 3rd June
- The prize will be awarded in the main tent. This may be subject to change so please check the order of events throughout the weekend or ask a member of the Fairford Festival crew
- Authors of the winning entry grant Fairford Festival the right to publish or broadcast their work though copyright will remain with the author
- Entries must only be written in English
- Entries will only be accepted with parent or guardian signature
- Fairford Festival reserve the right to request proof of age
- Original accounts only will be accepted
- Any unsuitable or defamatory entries will be rejected